Discrimination
...Discrimination. What does it mean to you? Does it only refer to rascism? I think not. Today, as the English lesson was ending, We were discussing about Symbols and Their meanings. Well, we were discussing happily, until we came to Harry Potter's "Slytherin", the supposedly 'evil' group of the story. Then , someone shouted out: "Thats why we have I-Spark!" Chatter began to erupt among the class, but Miss Soh kept a poker face; solemn and silent. Soon after the class had settled down, Miss Soh started to get angry. She talked about the themes of the stories that we had done for liturature before. "How does being different from us make them a target for discrimination?! After all, whether their intellect is different from us doesnt make them less human than us!" I totally agree. Are I-Spark students discriminated because they we are jealous of their supposedly higher intellect? Are they deemed nerds just because they do better academically? I think that we should seriously reflect on this. GEPers are perfectly normal people. They just take a different learning curriculum from us, as they can absorb more knowledge and information faster than some of us. Yes, i agree that some GEPers might appear to be cocky and arrogant, but you cannot dismiss the fact that they cannot be discriminated or bullied as arrogant as they might seem. Therefore, i think thyat all students should take a step into the GEPer's shoes and look from thier P.O.V.
What are your views on this topic?

1 Comments:
Yeah, I perfectly agree. I don't know the reason behind these jeering. Maybe it consists of jealousy as you mentioned? Very wierd though, some people just follow the crowd... Funny.
P.S. Check out http://www.engrish.com
It plain wacky!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home